Thank god this bloke was convicted! It took 2 trials because of some ridiculous minor technical thing that lawyers seem to find out of their ass in these cases but the truth prevailed.
This jealous vindictive dad of 3 great boys cracked the shits because his wife had moved on and thought to himself “I’ll show her” even whining to a then mate “She even got the better car”. So what does he do, drive them into a dam, strapped to their seats, at night, without a clue what’s going on, and lets them drown while he escapes to the banks and whines he has got no smokes or something to people rsushing to help.
I hope he lives a short but painful life in jail, we have spent enough on him legally already.
UPDATE 5.25pm: ROBERT Farquharson has been found guilty of the murders of his three sons.
He said he blacked out while coughing and accidentally drove into a dam on Father’s Day 2005.
Jai, 10, Tyler, 7 and Bailey, 2, were trapped in the car as it sank in 7m deep water off the Princes Highway near Winchelsea.
A Supreme Court jury today found Farquharson guilty after deliberating since Monday afternoon.
Farquharson angrily shook his head as the verdicts were read out while the boys’ mother Cindy Gambino smiled and nodded to the jury.
Jurors were crying in the jury box as the verdict was delivered.
Outside court Ms Gambino’s mother Bev Gambino was overcome and collapsed in the street before being taken away in a taxi.
A friend of Farquharson gave evidence that he had vowed to pay Ms Gambino back “big time” for forming a new relationship and getting “the good car” when they split.
And the last person to see the children alive, motorist Dawn Waite, told the jury Farquharson was not coughing but driving slowly and veering left and right moments before he swerved into the dam.
She did not come forward with her evidence until December last year.
It’s the second time Farquharson, 41, has faced trial accused of his children’s murder.
He was convicted in 2007 and sentenced to life with no parole.
But the Court of Appeal overturned the verdict and ordered a new trial, saying information about a key witness had been kept from the defence.
In the new trial Farquharson himself gave evidence for the first time, telling the jury he loved his kids and should have done more to save them.
Ms Gambino, who always believed in her former husband’s innocence, told the jury she had changed her mind and wanted him found guilty.
The jury also heard Farquharson had suffered other coughing fits that made him black out since the crash, including one in prison and one at home after giving his evidence in the trial in June.
Prosecution crash experts said the car could not have accidentally driven into the dam as it changed direction three times and avoided trees and other obstacles.
But defence experts disputed the police reconstruction methods and said crash could be attributed to factors such as the slant of the road.
The jury heard from a raft of doctors and other witnesses about losing consciousness through coughing, called cough syncope.
The rare phenomenon usually strikes people with serious health problems, which Farquharson didn’t have.
But several witnesses gave evidence of similar incidents where they passed out or saw others pass out from coughing.
The trial ran for almost three months and heard from about 70 witnesses.
He has been remanded in custody pending his sentencing.
Some of the Comments on today’s news…
Claire H of Melbourne Posted at 5:02 PM Today
Thank goodness he’s been found guilty!! My heart goes out to his ex-wife and family for the grief and pain they’ve suffered. I hope this verdict will allow them some form of closure and they can now heal
Comment 1 of 24
Jo of Belgrave South Posted at 5:02 PM Today
Thank god. This mongrell deserves every thing he gets.
Comment 2 of 24
rayo Posted at 5:03 PM Today
It seems justice has been now done.
Comment 3 of 24
Robbo Bourne of Parkdale Posted at 5:03 PM Today
Best news I’ve heard all year. This has temporarily renewed my faith in the jury system. May he rot in hell.
Comment 4 of 24
Kate of Melbourne Posted at 5:04 PM Today
It’s about bloody time the courts got it right! Congrats to the jury.
Comment 5 of 24
Hang Them of Geelong Posted at 5:07 PM Today
Can he appeal to the High Court next? What a system that gives all these ‘rights’ to this guy, Julian Knights/Others, while victims look after themselves.
Comment 6 of 24
Cee of Australia Posted at 5:07 PM Today
Thank goodness those sweet boys are in heaven and safe now – but how incredibly sad to see what people do to get back at each other. How about finding the courage to move on gracefully for the sake of your children?
Comment 7 of 24
JD of Geelong Posted at 5:10 PM Today
I hope he rots in jail!! Put him in General Population where they know exactly how this pig should be treated.. R.I.P Jai, Tyler and Bailey..
Comment 8 of 24
Maddy of Croydon Posted at 5:21 PM Today
Can’t bring them back, but justice has been served… Now I hope he gets LIFE.
Comment 9 of 24
P Wilkinson Posted at 5:23 PM Today
Thank God. May this man now rot in jail for the rest of his life.
Comment 10 of 24
M Daniels of Melbourne Posted at 5:26 PM Today
Of course he is guilty and he should never have been retried. He deserves all he gets now the filthy, horrible man that he is.
Comment 11 of 24
cck of perth Posted at 5:33 PM Today
Justice served. Have fun in jail you baby-killer.
Comment 12 of 24
johnty codes Posted at 5:39 PM Today
The only joke was that it took the jury that long to find this animal guilty. In prison he will run in to blokes a lot tougher than his defensless sons that he murdered.
Comment 13 of 24
Seeking Justice of Melbourne Posted at 5:40 PM Today
Yesssss.. thank God for Justice this time!
Comment 14 of 24
Scott Posted at 5:44 PM Today
Justice is served. Lets hope we don’t have to hear again from this murderer.
Comment 15 of 24
simon g of collingwood Posted at 5:50 PM Today
Please send this guys to jail for life, lock him up, throw away the keys, and make sure he never sees the outside world again, or we be subjected to the viewing of his pathetic and cowardly face. What a poor excuse for a human being, what a cowardly and disgusting man is he, abhorent animal, who no longer deserves the right to live in our society.
Comment 16 of 24
Sarah Posted at 5:51 PM Today
Go to Jail, go directly to jail, Its a shame its taken so long, May those precious boys now rest in peace.
Comment 17 of 24
Greg Angelo of Melbourne Posted at 5:54 PM Today
Farquarson I really had no doubt after the first trial of Robert Farquarson that he was guilty of the murder of his three boys, and I have so much sympathy for his poor ex-wife who had to go through the agony of this trial a second time. This man has absolutely no shame – obviously hoping for a second chance when deep down he must have known what he had done. I hope he gets an increased sentence this time. Jail for life with no parole would be a fitting sentence
Comment 18 of 24
jean Posted at 6:08 PM Today
I can’t even imagine how the mother must feel. To lose a child by ‘natural’ causes is devestating, but to have 3 children taken by deliberate means must leave a heart crushed.
Comment 19 of 24
Mark of St Kilda East Posted at 6:17 PM Today
I bet he’s blacking out now!
Comment 20 of 24
Allan of Sunshine Posted at 6:31 PM Today
Comment 21 of 24
Arthur McArthur of Mt Martha Posted at 6:32 PM Today
Let’s hope he rots in hell.
Comment 22 of 24
Pete of Singapore Posted at 6:32 PM Today
I hope you get everything you deserve and more. You have been proven guilty of one of the most disgusting acts any human has ever performed. R I H
Comment 23 of 24
Chris of Oakleigh Posted at 6:36 PM Today
Of course he’s guilty, all he had to do was put his foot on the brake, even when you’re coughing you can do that. What a waste of time and money.
Comment 24 of 24