Bourke St attacker shot by police


Bourke St attacker shot by police in Melbourne dies in hospital after one killed, two injured in stabbings – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)


Bourke St attacker shot by police in Melbourne dies in hospital after one killed, two injured in stabbings

Updated

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Video: Police were confronted by a knife-wielding man after responding to a car fire. (ABC News)

A man shot by police after stabbing three people in Melbourne’s Bourke Street has died in hospital.

One of the stabbing victims died of his injuries, while two are in hospital.

Police shot the man in the chest after he charged at them with the knife.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition and kept under guard before succumbing to his injuries.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told a press conference tonight the attack was being treated as an act of terrorism.

“From what we know of that individual, we are treating this as a terrorism incident.”

He said the attacker was known to “federal intelligence authorities” as well as to Victoria Police.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Video: Police say the suspect has died in hospital and they are treating the attack as a terrorism incident. (ABC News)

“He’s known to police mainly in respect to relatives he has that are certainly persons of interest to us.

“For operational matters we now have the counter-terrorism command and the homicide squad dealing with this matter, and there are ongoing investigations being conducted by the counter-terrorism command,” he said.

Mr Ashton said police were conducting “security reassessments” in relation to several events in Melbourne scheduled for the weekend; an A-League soccer match between Melbourne Victory and Central Coast Mariners on Sunday, and Remembrance Day events.

“At this stage we’re still encouraging people to go to those events, and it’s highly likely we’ll have additional police at all of those events,” he said.

Bystanders confronted attacker with chair, shopping trolley

Witnesses told the ABC a car sped down Bourke Street and crashed after missing a tram.

Video taken by witnesses shows a car on fire in the area and bystanders using a shopping trolley and chair to confront the attacker.

The video shows the man attempting to slash police officers with a large knife before falling to the ground.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Video: Witnesses capture a car fire on Bourke St, Melbourne (ABC News)

One witness said the driver got out of the car and threw “something like a bomb” inside before it erupted into flames.

An eyewitness said someone walked up to the alleged driver and was stabbed directly in the chest.

Witnesses said the man began randomly stabbing people in the street. Two police officers were on the scene quickly and confronted the man.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Video: Police say one person has died after the stabbing attack. (ABC News)

Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton said when police arrived at the scene they were confronted by a man brandishing a knife and threatening them.

“At the same time, passers-by were calling out that members of the public had been stabbed.”

In a later statement, police said the man assaulted police, fled on foot, then was shot while lunging at police with the knife.

Officers said they were initially called to a car fire around 4:20pm (AEDT).

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade said the fire was contained within 10 minutes.

Twitter: Meegan May tweets: Chaos in #bourkest as a guy seems to have set his car on fire then attacked police with a knife. Police response was swift and overwhelming. I heard at least one gunshot initially.

View on Twitter

A caller to ABC Radio Melbourne, Meegan, said she saw the incident from a tram.

She said she saw two policemen trying to subdue a man as a car burned.

“He seemed to be waving something, people around me screamed that he had a knife, but I couldn’t see clearly from where I was,” she said.

“And then I heard one loud bang. It sounded like a gunshot.

“And someone said they could see someone doing chest compressions on someone as an ambulance started coming up the street.”

Another witness, Markel Villasin, told ABC Radio Melbourne he ran out of the store he was working in after hearing there was a fire and found himself next to an injured man.

“Turned out there was an old man in front of me, literally by my feet. He was facedown, facedown, and there was a lot of blood,” he said.

“I was already stepping on his blood.

“There was a lot of bystanders trying to help him out. They didn’t know what to do because obviously in that situation it is pretty crazy.”

Mr Villasin said bystanders were yelling out “just shoot him, just shoot him,” while police officers were trying to disarm the attacker.

Police are asking members of the public to avoid the area.

“Anyone with information or who witnessed the incident is asked to go to Melbourne West Police Station to make a statement,” a police statement said.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Video: Witnesses describe how the attack unfolded. (ABC News)

Trams are not running along Bourke Street or Swanston Street in either direction.

Twitter: Daniel Andrews tweets: Thank you to the Victoria Police officers who responded so bravely

View on Twitter

Premier Daniel Andrews tweeted, urging people to avoid the area and follow the instructions of emergency services personnel.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy tweeted:

“Today, more than ever, we offer our thanks to Police and first responders for the unbelievable work they do for all of us.”

Topics: fires, disasters-and-accidents, melbourne-3000

First posted

Advertisements

Rioting Sudanese gangs…No excuses


Ok lets get one thing straight…THIS is not a raciest story, merely a story where a race is waging some sort of violent rampage/payback over the last week.

Know I do not know if this started purely at a beauty pageant for the Sudanese beauties in our community or not. But to me personally, it stinks of some sort of drunken jealousy gone wrong…

The authorities need to nip this in the bud VERY VERY quickly or many will suffer at the drunken stupidity of a few…

Venues will refuse bookings, Community grants and or assistance denied, community support will plummet, not to mention the cops getting tough and enacting zero tolerance at venues where they once showed some diplomacy

Alcohol has been raised as a reason but who cares? Nip it in the bud now or every honest law abiding Sudanese male will forever be tarnished with the brush of these drunken hooligans…If they prefer we can arrange to take them back to where they came, and what a mistake that would be for humanity

UPDATE 2.49pm: PREMIER Ted Baillieu has called on local Sudanese leaders to start showing some leadership.

Dobuol Nyuon was attacked during a brawl at an after-party for a Miss South Sudan event


After three nights of violence across Melbourne involving young Sudanese thugs, Mr Baillieu warned the offenders would face the full force of the law.

The Premier said he was concerned and saddened by the events.

He talked to Sudanese leaders today about the problems and is planning further discussions.

“Anybody who breaks the law will be dealt with by the law, but we do have to recognise there are some problems in some communities that need to be addressed,” he said.

“What we need is young local leaders in all these communities stepping up to the plate.”

Mr Baillieu admitted problems with racism could be undermining Victoria’s approach to migrants and multiculturalism.

Three people were injured last night after reportedly being hit by bottles during a brawl in the carpark of Daisey’s Hotel, Ringwood, about 10.30pm.

Police were called after reports of a large group of Sudanese men fighting.

It’s believed up to 30 men could have been involved in the brawl, in which three people suffered head and leg injuries.

The latest incident comes after a man was stabbed and others injured at a “kickback party” for the beauty pageant in the early hours of Monday morning.

Then yesterday a policeman was hit in the face with a stubby and another punched when an unruly mob descended on them in Braybrook, in Melbourne’s west.

‘Sue’, whose policeman partner needed stitches in the head after he was hit with a bottle while trying to break up the Braybrook brawl said a crackdown on violent thugs was needed.

She said her partner also attended the brawl in Ringwood this morning.

‘Sue’ said she welcomed changes to immigration law which mean asylum seekers convicted of a crime while in detention would almost certainly be deported.

“I think we do need to take a tougher stand,’’ she told 3AW.

“Yes they’ve had a hard upbringing, yes they’ve been through a lot where they’ve come from but you really have to leave it at the door to make a fresh start.

“If they bring it (violence) with them how can we be a better country? We’re going to end up exactly the same.’’

Sue said the recent brawls by members of the Sudanese community were terrible.

“It’s been an issue for months and months and months it’s just that it’s been on such a large scale over this weekend that it’s sort of really been brought to a head,’’ she told 3AW.

“When you’ve got hundreds of people you could get every police officer in Melbourne and they wouldn’t stand a chance.

“Unfortunately it’s becoming really scary out there.’’

Police are looking for any links between the three brawls.

Police Deputy Commissioner Sir Ken Jones this morning said he was “open to discussion” about police keeping specific statistics on crimes involving the Sudanese community.

Sir Ken said police had previously collected statistics about crimes against Indian students.

Police keep some statistics documenting offenders’ country of birth, but Sudan is not currently listed as a stand alone category.

“We do collect some statistics which give us an indication about racial make up,” Sir Ken said.

“I think there is some pretty impressive data within Victorian Government databases. I have seen it on Victorian Government indices and there is some good data Commonwealth-wise. Whether we need to replicate that at police level is open to discussion.”

He couldn’t say if there was a higher offending rate among the Sudanese community compared with other nationalities.

Former police chief Christine Nixon said in 2007 that Sudanese people represented only one per cent of criminals dealt with by the force.

Sir Ken said migrants who fled war-torn countries like Sudan often didn’t know anything but violence.

“I think, broadly speaking, you can have difficulties with migrant groups as they adapt to the laws of the country that are hosting them and that can take some time but usually government will step in, local government committees to make sure that transition is as smooth as possible and clearly that’s been an issue for some groups coming into any major city, including Melbourne,” he said on 3AW.

Sir Ken said he didn’t think the recent violence involving the Sudanese community was linked to racism.

“I’m afraid there is racism in every society,” he said.

“This isn’t about racism. This is about groups getting out of hand over a pageant, over a party confronting our cops. It’s a very, very nasty incident and the law will be enforced. People need a lot of help to assimilate and integrate.”

In last night’s incident, a 20-year-old South Australian man was reportedly hit with a bottle during the clash.

He suffered head injuries and cuts to his legs and hand.

Shortly afterwards at Ringwood Lake, police found a Bayswater man, 20, with cuts to his upper body and a Balwyn man, 19, with head injuries and bleeding to his leg.

The Balwyn man was taken to Maroondah Hospital in a non-life-threatening condition.

Most of the men involved in the clash were perceived to be of African appearance.

Police said they all appeared to be intoxicated and were being uncooperative.

Maroondah CIU detectives have not established a motive for the brawl.

No arrests have been made.

Police believe at least six people in the brawl were from interstate.

It’s believed they had been in Victoria for the Miss South Sudan Australia beauty pageant last weekend.

A trail of blood in the hotel’s carpark appears to lead to a car, with spots of blood on the ground around it.

The silver Holden Commodore’s tyres are flat and its registration has been removed.

A spokesman for ALH group, which owns and operates Daisey’s Hotel, David Curry, said the men had not been at the venue before the stoush.

He said the hotel would assist police with their investigation in any way it could.

Police are investigating whether the brawls are linked.

Beauty pageant winner Nyakor Tut has called on the state government to help engage Sudanese youth in the wider community in an effort to quell violence.

Anyone with information about the brawl is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


Matthew Newton stuffs up again, Rachael Taylor applies for AVO


My Say

Well the bloke didn’t take long to stuff up again after all the rehab and new promises. His latest girlfriend has also had enough and applied for and AVO against the actor. It is now obvious to all Matthew, the son of Australian TV Royalty, in Bert and Pattie Newton has big problems with the grog, drugs, anger issues, self control and who knows what else. He has been protected by his famous parents as much as anyone could do and he can hide no longer. We all have problems but for Newton, he seems to TAKE HIS FRUSTRATIONS OUT ON WOMEN. Not the most manly pin-up boy for the Australian film and TV scene is it…

Matthew Newton stuffs up again, Rachael Taylor applies for AVO
UPDATE 3.05pm: MATTHEW Newton’s former girlfriend Rachael Taylor has applied for an apprehended violence order against the Channel 7 star, alleging she was the victim of “two unprovoked violent assaults”.

The actress says she fears “for her personal safety, well being and security following events – both in Australia and while on a recent holiday in Rome, Italy.”

Ms Taylor alleges: “This action follows a series of gravely serious incidents, including and not limited to two unprovoked violent assaults, which (she claims) occurred on the 13th and 14th August, 2010, while Ms Taylor was in Rome.”

Sources claim police were called to the scene, but no charges were laid.

Taylor’s manager says the actress is receiving medical treatment and is considering further legal options, beyond the AVO.

“I thank my family and friends for their ongoing support through what is an extremely disturbing, distressing and difficult time,” she said.

Last night, Seven confirmed Newton was back in rehab and would be replaced as the host of The X-Factor.

When asked how her brother was, Matthew’s sister Lauren Newton told media gathered outside the family’s East Hawthorn home this afternoon: “Going well thanks”.

Taylor said in a statement released today: “After much consideration and struggle I have made this personal decision to send a clear public message that violence, threats, abuse and intimidation are not acceptable and should be dealt with by the full capacity of the law.”

Taylor has instructed her Sydney-based barrister Christine Nash to represent her during this and any related court appearances.

The couple had been on a private holiday in Rome, while Taylor was on a break from filming thriller The Darkest Hour in Moscow.

He was en route to filming segments in Dublin for Seven’s The X-Factor but was escorted home “to the care of his family” by a producer.

She is expected to return to work later this week and has stated she will not be talking further with media on the personal matter.

Last night Channel 7 denied knowledge of the physical clash between their signing and his former girlfriend.

He has returned to a rehabilitation clinic, withdrawing from his TV host duties “on medical advice”.

Newton’s manager, Titus Day of 6 Degrees Management, confirmed he has terminated their working relationship.

In a statement, Day said: “Degrees is no longer representing Matthew in a management capacity. We are not prepared to comment further other than to say that Matthew is a wonderful talent and we wish him well at this time and for the future.”

Newton’s acting representation remains the responsibility of Robyn Gardiner Management.

Newton had been on holiday with the Transformers star last Sunday before he was expected to film segments with X Factor mentor Ronan Keating in the Irish singer’s home town.

A FremantleMedia source said “on arrival in Dublin it was decided that Matthew needed to return to Australia to the care of his family”.

A Seven spokeswoman said: “Matthew had a strong commitment to the program and has tried his utmost to make it work. He has the support of his family and friends as he works his way back to full health.”

The hosting role on Seven’s marquee talent search show was regarded as Newton’s second chance to overcome his personal demons. His public image has taken a battering since 2006, when he was charged with intimidating and assaulting his then-girlfriend, actress Brooke Satchwell.

He pleaded guilty to one charge of common assault but the conviction was then quashed a year later.

Last year, he agreed to pay $9000 in damages to a Kings Cross hotel room booked in Taylor’s name.

No police charges were laid and he denied being responsible for the damage.

In March, he was ejected from a Melbourne hotel after staff discovered $4000 worth of damage to the room and bathroom during his three-week stay. Newton said the room was “fine” when he checked out.

Last month, he told Seven’s sister publication New Idea he was a “work in progress” and had sought treatment “in the hope of becoming a happier, better person”.

“It was a slow realisation that there were things in my life I could do better,” he said.

“One of the things I learnt was that I am just like everyone else – I am flawed.”

During an interview published in Who magazine this month, Taylor was described as one of his “constants”.

She stood by him during his stint in rehab. Each other’s initials are tattooed on their wrists.

Newton described Taylor as “a wonderful, fantastic woman – we want the best for each other. We talk about everything. We’re partners, so it’s love, life, work and where we’re going to spend Christmas”.

The latest controversy is a disaster for Seven’s The X-Factor, which is due to make its multi-million dollar debut next Monday night. The network is yet to decide how it will deal with pre-recorded footage of Newton.

Daniel MacPherson and Grant Denyer are the frontrunners to take over as host after Newton’s shock exit.

Who do you think should replace Matthew Newton as the host of X Factor? Tell us below

The network has to find a replacement host quickly – something that isn’t easy given the sheer scale of the show.

The X Factor will quickly feature massive live shows set for Sunday and Monday nights.

Not many Australian TV personalities have the skills to slot into hosting such a huge production at short notice.

MacPherson, who hosted the first edition of The X Factor on Ten and will finish hosting Dancing with the Stars this Sunday, is an obvious prospect.

Denyer, who has hosted Australia’s Got Talent this year, is another contender.

Both could slip relatively easily into the hosting role.

Other stars that originally auditioned for the X-Factor hosting gig include Sonia Kruger and Axel Whitehead. Whitehead’s commitments to Home and Away would appear to rule him out.

Related Articles